Hate-Bias Response Team
The primary role of the Hate-Bias Response Team is to review hate-bias incidents, to provide appropriate responses based on the nature of the incident and to work collaboratively to provide educational outreach to the campus.
The team does not replace any of the current procedures and protocols in place to resolve alleged violations of policies regarding student conduct, discrimination, sexual misconduct, or violations of criminal law. Rather, the team seeks to ensure that there is a more streamlined and effective process for handling hate-bias incidents, including providing support to impacted parties.
The team does not seek to limit academic freedom, but rather, to foster a campus community where students, faculty and staff of all identities feel welcomed and supported.
The goals of the Hate-Bias Response Team are to:
- Implement and continuously improve a streamlined system for the campus community to report hate-bias incidents.
- Provide a coordinated response to hate-bias incidents with input from impacted individuals and key stakeholders.
- Provide immediate support for those impacted by hate-bias incidents.
- Monitor patterns of hate-bias incidents on campus in order to provide recommendations to university leadership for trainings, programs, policies and practices.
- Continuously engage the campus community members in education, dialogue, and awareness around hate and bias.
- Implement and continuously improve a system for communicating reports of hate-bias incidents to the campus community.
The Hate-Bias Response Team is made up of members from the following campus units:
The Hate-Bias Response Team also works closely with various divisions across campus who can provide expertise. These include:
Report an Incident
The University of Maryland values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and respectful campus for students, faculty and staff. If you have been impacted by hate, bias, intimidation, sexual misconduct or discrimination, you can file a report with the units here.
You may also contact UMPD by calling:
Emergency: 911 or 301-405-3333 - Mobile Phone #3333